The Place Promised In Our Early Days

Okay, this post is pretty much completely useless. I just have to rave about this incredible movie I watched last night. It was sooo good... I have to talk about it.


So. I should start with plot, ne? The Place Promised In Our Early Days is a soft science fiction friendship drama. That's about the best I can sum it up in one sentence. The story goes, Japan is allied with the US and Hokkaido has split away from the rest of the country. On the island of Hokkaido is a massive tower that stretches, it seems, miles into the air--it's visible from Tokyo on a clear day. There's these two friends named Horoki and Takuya who're building an airplane, the Bella Ciella (don't quote me on spelling there), because they want to get to the tower: it's their "promised place." They meet a girl, Sayura, who soon befriends the two of them. Horoki promises to take her to the tower when they finish the Bella Ciella. Some time goes by, and everything falls apart.... and the real story continues from there. I won't say anything else 'cause it would be a shame to give it away.

So, on to why I liked it so much... well, for one thing, it's completely beautiful! The animation is phenomenal. The settings are bursting with detail, the lighting effects are soft and lovely... it's almost dreamlike in a few parts. The music, too, is lovely, with some nice piano pieces and very pretty main theme on the violin. What truly makes this movie beautiful, though, is the story and the characters. Each character, but especially Takuya, Sayura, and Horoki, is very real and very special, and I really cared for them. Their struggles, hopes, dreams, fears--they put me on the edge of my seat, moved me to tears, made me smile wide. I fell in love with those characters. The story itself is very well-told: unexpected and emotional, it makes sense and is all tied off beautifully in the end. The story draws you in, and the characters sink hooks into your heart. This movie wouldn't let me go until the very last line of the credits, the final image that went onscreen. When it was over, I just laid back my head and sighed. It was that good.

Ah, this movie was so beautiful... so incredible.... I absolutely must watch it again at some point. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen, hands down. Now, if you actually want to read a real review of it, look here: http://animeworld.com/reviews/placepromisedinourearlydays.html

Well... I could go on... but I'm sure you're tired of me saying how wonderful this movie is. *laugh*

~ Figment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

-

My thoughts on life, writing, and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My (few) Readers

Me. Yes, me.

My photo
I am nothing but a figment of your imagination.